With credit due for decisions made by the City Council of 1929 and 1930, this Sixth District building, on the corner of E. Magnolia Avenue and Chestnut Street, was completed as the new Park City Branch of the Lawson McGhee Library in the Summer of 1931. Construction costs were $28,500 then, about $427,379 in 2017 dollars.Read More
Local artist, Lloyd Branson, ationally known, especially for his portraits of Southern politicians and depictions of East Tennessee history, made his home in Knoxville, at 1423 Branson Avenue, in 1922, until he died suddenly in 1925.Read More
Perched on the high side of Kingston Pike, between the campus area and Sequoyah Hills, is this elegant Neoclassical home with an elaborate history, from a private residence to a hospital to a motel to a nursing home.Read More
From time to time we receive responses on our Local Lore segments and with the authors' permission, we will be posting them, along with our reponses, on the TroMo blog. Enjoy this interesting info about 826 Bluff Drive in Sequoyah Hills!Read More
Emoriland Park began with the development of Fairmont & Emoriland Blvd. during the 1920's. Charles M. Emory converted his father's farm, the family farm, Arlington Gardens, then in the community of Arlington, into the neighborhood.Read More
The Village Green neighborhood, at the corner of Kingston Pike and Campbell Station Road, is approaching 50 years old, making it almost historic. The neighborhood was originally developed in the late 1960's by Marvin and Breck Ellison, Dean Cate, and Ross Hanna, Jr. Houses originally sold in the $20,000-$30,000 range.Read More
Oakwood, the neighborhood along the east side of Central Street and between Churchwell and Morelia avenues to Harvey Street, was developed during the early 20th century and was Knoxville's first residential suburb, in the modern sense.Read More
This Federal style home sits near the corner of Kingston Pike and Campbell Station Road as a vestige of the local history of Farragut and Kingston Pike.Read More
It's a sad time to bid farewell to one of the last vestiges of a much more glamorous time in the historic neighborhood within the Fort Sanders area. The Historic Zoning Commission voted last week to allow the home at 1633 Clinch Avenue to be demolished. The house caught fire in 2003 and has further deteriorated since that time.
The home was built in 1899 by General George W. Pickle and his wife, Minnie Pickle. At the time the home was built, G.W. Pickle was serving as State Attorney General, thereby gaining his title. Pickle was in his late 50s with an adventuresome past when construction began.
Pickle was a teenager when the Civil War began and against the inclination of peers, joined the Confederate Army. He was captured and held as a prisoner of war during his duty.
Following his war service and in poorer health, Pickle attended Princeton and studied law in Indiana. Following his education, Pickle moved to Sevierville, then to Newport, and later to Dandridge, He eventually formed a partnership with W.R. Turner, his career business partner, in the Knoxville firm Pickle, Turner, and Kennerly, in 1879. He married Minnie in Dandridge in 1881. The couple moved to Knoxville in 1892.
The Pickle Mansion was one of a number of expansive homes, most on generous lots, built nearby on Clinch Avenue and along Laurel Avenue, around 16th Street, around the turn of the twentieth century. The neighborhood, then known as West Knoxville was a street car suburb of Knoxville, having incorporated as a separate municipality in 1888 and annexed by the City of Knoxville in 1897. It had been the site of the Battle of Fort Sanders during the Civil War, only about 30 years before neighborhood development began.
The neighborhood extended to around 17th Street along Clinch and Laurel avenues during the early twentieth century. The Pickle Mansion was at the edge of the neighborhood when it was built.
A variety of homes existed on other neighborhood streets when the Pickle Mansion was under construction. They were likely remarkable in some cases, but they were often not likely as impressive as the Pickle mansion and other homes near the Pickle Mansion on Clinch Avenue and, especially, along Laurel Avenue.
Several contemporaries of the Pickle Mansion are still standing on Laurel Avenue. They include 1213 Laurel Avenue, the early twentieth century home of Michael Colgan, a ladies tailor; 1221 Laurel Avenue, the early twentieth century home of M.S. Little, a wholesale clothing dealer; 1403 Laurel Avenue, the early twentieth century home of M.B. Arnstein, a dry goods dealer; 1415 Laurel Avenue, the early twentieth century home of the widow of Martin L. Ross, wholesale grocer; and 1537 Laurel Avenue, the early twentieth century home of R. R. Swepson of Knoxville Gas & Light Company. Unfortunately, many contemporary homes near the Pickle Mansion and throughout the neighborhood have been destroyed over the years, deteriorating the historic fabric of the neighborhood.
Our latest listing at 4300 Magnolia Ave has Local Lore!Read More
The Morton house at 4084 Kingston Pike isn't visible from the street; here's a historic glimpse of what's behind the wall and greenery on the property, adjacent to St. George Greek Orthodox Church.Read More
Magnolia Avenue was named for the mother of the Mayor of the area known as Park City before it was annexed by Knoxville in 1917.Read More
The home at 1424 Armstrong Avenue in what is now known as Old North Knoxville was built in the early 1890s and shared the end of the street with only three other homes at the turn of the century. These homes included 1411, next door, the home at 1365, and a home that has since been destroyed.Read More
The history of the development of what is now known as Sequoyah Hills and the first residents of the area is one of pre- and post Depression era Knoxville.Read More
Broadway was a residential street before it developed as a state highway commercial street as the popularity of the automobile increased during the early 20th century.Read More